This FAQ is for anyone having a problem with the download, installation or activation of the Advent Calendar or Circus.
If you are seeing the error message "The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged", please follow this FAQ.
If you are trying to activate and you see the message "Are you sure you're connected? Check your internet connection, then try again", then please follow this FAQ.
For other errors, please check our other FAQs and Help Bulletin first, but if your problem is not described in more specific detail elsewhere, please carefully follow this sequence of steps to uninstall and re-install the software. Do not skip any steps.
- Make sure your computer satisfies the minimum technical requirements: please click here for details
- Make sure your computer's date and time are set correctly (this is important).
- Review your security software. Check your anti-virus and/or firewall programs, and in each case verify that your system is not blocking downloads from jacquielawson.com or adobe.com.
- Uninstall any existing copy of the Advent Calendar or Circus from your computer. Please click here and follow the instructions, including the "additional steps for troubleshooting".
- If your anti-virus program allows you to do so, disable real-time scanning of files for the duration of the download. Do not disable your anti-virus program completely.
- Download and install Adobe AIR directly from the Adobe website. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Ensure you have the most up-to-date Flash Player. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer.
- Re-install the Advent Calendar or Circus. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer again. Please power down your computer and wait a minute before switching it back on. When your computer comes back on, don't immediately try to view the Advent Calendar. Wait another couple of minutes, until everything is quiet and all the initialisation processes have completed.
If you need further assistance, please take the third option to the question below in order to contact our helpline. Please give full details of your setup and of the steps you have taken so far. Just telling us "it doesn't work" doesn't help us find a solution! So please make sure you tell us:
- What version of Windows or Mac OS you are using.
- Exactly which step in the above instructions caused the problem.
- The exact detail of any error messages you see.
- Exactly what happens at the point where the whole thing falls apart.
- If possible please also send us the AIR installation log file. Here are instructions for Windows and Mac computers.
Finally, please note that our Advent Calendars are also available in a web-based version, which runs in your normal Internet browser and does not require Adobe AIR. (Unfortunately this option is not available for the Circus.) If despite all your efforts you're unable to get the AIR version to work on your computer, please try the web version. Please click here for more details.