If you are having a problem with the operation or installation of the Advent Calendar or Circus, and if your problem is not described in more specific detail elsewhere in our FAQs, please try the following sequence of steps to uninstall and re-install the software. This should clear up most common problems.
- Review your security settings. There are a large number of security programs available and sadly we cannot give specific advice for each one, but you will need to check your anti-virus and/or firewall programs, and in each case verify that your system is not blocking downloads from jacquielawson.com or adobe.com.
- Uninstall any existing copy of the Advent Calendar or Circus from your computer. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Download and install Adobe AIR directly from the Adobe website. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Ensure you have the most up-to-date Flash Player. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer.
- Re-install the Advent Calendar or Circus. Please click here and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer again. Please power down your computer and wait a couple of minutes before switching it back on. When your computer comes back on, don't immediately try to view the Advent Calendar. Wait another couple of minutes, until everything is quiet and all the initialisation processes have completed.
Finally, please note that our Advent Calendars are also available in a web-based version, which runs in your normal Internet browser and does not require Adobe AIR. (Unfortunately this option is not available for the Circus.) If despite all your efforts you're unable to get the AIR version to work on your computer, please try the browser version. Please click here for more details.
If you need further assistance, please take the third option to the question below in order to contact our helpline. Please give full details of your setup and of the steps you have taken so far. Just telling us "it doesn't work" doesn't help us find a solution! So please make sure you tell us:
- What version of Windows or Mac OS you are using.
- Exactly which step in the above instructions caused the problem.
- The exact detail of any error messages you see.
- Exactly what happens at the point where the whole thing falls apart.